Based out of our Everest lodge training base in the Donegal Mountains.
We run specialised expedition training weekends, needed for long safe days in the hills or trips to remote mountain ranges, or preparing to climb to high-altitude summits. We meet, we climb, we educate, we explore & we inspire by breathing fresh air back into the way we think and act in the great outdoors.
Course is delivered by: Jason Black / International Expedition Leader / International Mountain Leader
- Risk Management
- Expedition planning and leadership.
- Navigation and Route-planning.
- Remote Incident Management.
- Cold Weather Injuries.
- Snow craft (ice axe and crampon skills).
- Security on Steep Ground.
- Efficient travel on exposed terrain.
- Expedition pack management.
- Expedition camp craft and hygiene.
- Winter Weather forecasting.
- Expedition Leave no trace training.
Weekend Price €199
Date : 25th - 26th Nov 2023
Limited to 6 places
- Accommodation at Everest lodge self catering.
- 2 expedition mountain training days
- Wilderness first responder
- All training equipment.
Map & Compass | Personal Equipment | Snacks | Good weather.
Meet your Guide
If your planning on hiking here at home or in the Alps, Peru or Everest basecamp in Nepal.
Or maybe planning on climbing Kilimanjaro, Mera Peak, Island peak, Denali, Aconcagua or looking to go even higher, then this Expedition planning and leadership weekend is for you.
You will be learning from one of the worlds leading Mountaineers.
Jason Black will make you feel engaged, safe, challenged, committed and inspired.
You will walk away feeling a greater sense of confidence in your skills and ability.
You will feel refreshed by my open, honest, professional approach and to be truly motivated by my purest mountaineering ethics and expedition experience.
Our approach is a little unconventional. Inquiry-based, no-bullshit thinking and development programmes in amazing Irish spaces. Jason Black Mountain Guide and International Overnight Irish Expeditions Leader on the world’s greatest Mountains. Very few have ever stood on the summit of Mt Everest and on the summit of the savage mountain K2 arguably the hardest and most dangerous mountain in the world. Jason holds multiple high-altitude mountaineering world records, such as being the fastest human in history to summit Kilimanjaro twice in 22 hrs and Aconcagua traverse in 18 hrs. In making history Jason Black has joined that very small global club, placing him as one of the world’s leading high altitude mountaineers. His safety standard, mountain knowledge and adventure travel experience is exceptional. Jason works professionally with organisations and teams combining his business life skills his mountaineering experiences, leadership, and managing risk. Some recent examples include Linkedin, Pfizer Inc, Amazon, Facebook, and many others.
This powerful combination of people, process, and place unforgettably shifts minds, lifts hearts and stirs souls. We promise that our work together will not be dull.
- You know you’re looking for something different.
- Your job developing your team can be difficult, creatively challenging, and hugely rewarding.
- You know something needs to shift – but you might struggle to put your finger on exactly what needs changing.
- You know you need to reconnect, refocus, and re-energise your team.
- Does this feel familiar?
Courage. Challenge. Change.
Do those words inspire something that feels great, or are they a little daunting?
Let us reassure you, at The Fresh Air Leadership Company, care is a constant – and it’s just one of our vital values.
We offer a space that is physically and emotionally safe, so that you feel free and inspired to explore new ways of thinking and being.
Your leadership adventure starts here.
Your leadership adventure starts here.
- A damned good listening to, with someone who holds you to account
- Energised conversations – outdoors or closer to home
- An improvement in the quality of your team’s creative thinking
- To explore and evolve new perspectives through a physical and metaphorical journey
- To develop real trust, communicate honestly, and collaborate well in complex scenarios…
Then you also know you need the unforgettable experiences we offer.
All you need to know starts here.
GOJB15 My personal discount code for https://greatoutdoors.ie/shop/camping
- 1x Long sleeve top base layer.
- 1x Fleece to be worn over base layer
- Hiking trousers
- Waterproof Jacket
- Waterproof bottoms
- Warm jacket (Insulated Down or Synthetic Jacket)
- 1x Warm woollen Hat (ski hat)
- 1x Baseball Cap to shade your face
- 1x Neck Buff
- Sunglasses (optional)
- Reading glasses
- 1x Gloves
- 3 x Hiking Socks
- Hiking Boots: broken in and comfortable.
- Sleeping Bag
- Blow up Sleeping Pad: full length is preferred
- Closed-cell Foam Pad: to be used in conjunction with the inflating pad for warmth and comfort when sleeping
- Expedition Backpack: approximately 40L
- Dry bag or Black Bags: to line and waterproof inside of backpack
- Trekking Poles: adjustable (optional)
- Headlamp: with 1 extra sets of new batteries
- 1:50,000 scale ISO Discovery series Map of the mountain range
- Travel Clothes and Shoes:leave in car for days travelling to and from weekend.
Cooking equipment & Gas (Jason provides) but feel free to BYO
Expedition Food Items
- Here is a great solution to all your expedition foods
- Arrive with breakfast Saturday
- Lunch Saturday Dried expedition foods
- Dinner Saturday night; Dried expedition foods
- Breakfast Sunday morning; porridge add water.
- Lunch Sunday
Dried expedition foods.
- Tea /coffee; Nescafe 3n1
Additional Food Items
- Snack Food: bring a few days supply of your favourite climbing snack food such as bars, gels, mixed nuts, beef jerky, etc. variety of salty and sweet is good
- MIGET SPRAY (A Must)
- Plastic mug
- Plastic Bowl
- Plastic spoon
- Water Bottle
- Water bladder for your Backpack (optional)
- Water Treatment tabs
- Thermos (optional)
- Toothbrush, toothpaste, toilet paper, baby wipes and hand sanitiser
- Small Personal First-aid Kit: include athletic tape, band-aids, Ibuprofen, blister care, etc.
- Toilet paper
- Small Garden trowel to bury your shit
- Zip lock bag to bring your toilet paper home
- A smile and a sense of humour.
Its a learning experience catering for beginners to advanced outdoor enthusiasts. no previous mountaineering experience is necessary, moderate fitness is helpful
At Jason Black Mountaineering, we strive to ensure that many of our programs are open to anyone with reasonable physical fitness. If you can hike 10km each day with a back pack on, then you’re able for the hiking weekend. If you have a pre-existing medical condition or adverse medical history please let Jason know.
At Jason Black mountaineering we provide the lightest available, high-quality 4 season mountaineering tents on overnight expedition courses. Clients will set up tents and establish camp, and cook.
On Jason Black Irish Expeditions you will be required to carry a portion of the group gear one lite tent one 30m rope and your personal dried foods and small stove, in addition to your personal gear, sleeping bag & sleeping mat.
Please take this into consideration as you choose which personal items and large backpack you critically need. Be prepared to carry between 10 – 15kg. An adequately sized weekend expedition backpack is required.
On Jason Black Irish Expeditions we start 8am early on Saturday morning and finish at 4pm on Sunday evening. Once you book on to the weekend, you will receive a location of where to meet, all the information you require is in the FAQ section above.